Thursday, July 3, 2008

Forced to Implement Timeout...

He received several warnings to stop his inappropriate behavior, but refused to better his behavior, so Haven was forced to put him in timeout. Yes...I said Haven put his bear in timeout. I am not real clear on what exactly the bear did that Haven thought warranted a timeout, but I'm sure Haven made the right decision. In this house we can't tolerate bears throwing fits, hitting, biting or talking back. Haven knows the rules better than anyone. Haven is a little busy with "bear care" at the moment so I will share the part of the story I know...

I was busying working when I noticed Haven was really quiet. You know...the kind of quiet all of us parents get when we are obviously disapproving of a certain child's...or in the case, bear's behavior. So I looked up to find Haven kneeling in front of the bear who was now sitting unhappily in the timeout chair. Haven spoke softly to the bear and pointed to his own eyes so the bear would look at him while he was telling him why he was sitting there. Haven then walked away to leave the bear to think about his behavior. About five seconds later, Haven again knelt in front of the bear. I heard more soft mumbling and he pointed to his eyes again. Apparently the bear did not want to look at him while he was talking. But Haven stayed consistent and made sure the bear knew who was in charge. I'm not sure what Haven said to the bear, but it must have moved the bear to an apology because Haven picked him up from the chair and gave him a big hug.

Whew. Glad Haven handled that one. I implement enough timeouts during the day. Haven also diapers the bear and puts the bear to bed so I don't have to worry about it. He sure is helpful.

I just hope the bear learned something about behaving nicely. I would hate to see Haven put him in timeout again.


1 comment:

The Edelbrocks said...

That is so sweet! You guys must be good parents! :) Tayler has started putting me in timeout... hmm...